Saturday, July 23, 2011

Recipe - Mac n' Cheese

This has become a classic at our house – Kraft dinner is no longer needed...
I’m pushing the Barefoot in Boston version – when I made this the first time my family went nuts.  My father has retired as the official Mac n’ Cheese master and I’ve been crowned.  Thank you Courtney. 
I've changed it slightly so I'm putting the recipe up I used for my family who have been asking for it.   Why does everyone ask me for these recipes when I'm trying to stick to healthy eating.  I'm just making myself hungry.
Mac n' Cheese

1 box of preferred short cut pasta
2 cups of milk
3 tablespoons of flour
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
3 oz of extra sharp cheddar
2 oz of asiago
1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
Italian bread crumbs
Parmesan Cheese
1 smoked ham steak - cubed

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta to al dente. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan over med low heat (don't boil.) Melt the butter in a medium pot and add flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Cheddar, and Asiago cheese. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked pasta and stir well.  Pour into baking dish. Take either panko bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and bread crumbs are browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...